Three weekends ago, the kids had Friday off of school. SOOO, what do the Glasgow's do when there is time off? We get out of DODGE, of course! Only this time, Dad couldn't go with us. I was desperately needing a therapeutic visit with my sisters. My children are great "car trippers," therefore I decided the kids and I would go visit my sister Steph in Houston. Another sister, Michelle, had already planned on being in Houston as well. I packed everyone up and left Rob at home to do work and bishop stuff. The kids travelled so well--thanks to the invention of DVD systems in cars--but Austin really got upset when we managed to arrive in Houston right at rush hour--yay for my planning!
It was such a fun weekend. Steph, Michelle and I started off the weekend by piling in Stephanie's big cozy bed and watched The Office. The next day we went running, sewed aprons for the kids, celebrated my bro's-in-law birthday at a fanatastic Mexican restaurant called Alicia's, ate too much cake, and made one more apron for Michelle, who felt left out of our plan to make aprons. The cousins played tirelessly together. The time to leave came way too fast, but I guess my kids have to attend something called school, and they travelled wonderfully back home to our dad.
I was thinking on the way home about my relationships with my siblings. How blessed am I to have them?!!! The thought entered my mind that maybe I knew them personally in the pre-existence. I don't know for sure, but I'd like to think so. Maybe in some way we were meant to help each other and support each other on our way back home. I think of them as teammates. I love how different we are from each other yet somehow the same in many ways. And our differences don't mean disagreements or hositilities (anymore), but I like them because of their differences. Can you tell I had a long time to think in the car?




10 comments:
Yes, siblings are amazing. I think it's so funny how they drove me so crazy when I was a kid and yes, now I love them and love to be with them beacuse of their differences. Glad you had such a great trip and that the kids were good travelers for you. I'm seriously so glad to get back in touch with you! :)
Isn't it even more fun to get to know your siblings as adults? I enjoy family time so much more now that we are all older and married.
How long is that trip to Houston?
The drive takes 7 hours with one rest stop.
I don't know where I'd be w/out my sisters and brother and now all my in-law siblings (which I think is so cool that they fit PERFECTLY in our family)! Its so fun to get together and just talk and know that we all get a long - even all the cousins too. Thanks for coming to see us! We had a blast and can't wait to see ya'll at christmas.
Do you want to make pj's bottoms at mom's house?
Thanks for being the best oldest sister! I love you tons and hope to be at least half the wife/mom/sister/daughter/etc you are :o)
It looks like you had a great time. Houston really is a fun place.
Jen and Rob,
You have such an amazing family. I am so grateful that I was sent your blog.
David Anderson
david.anderson@tetratech.com
Awww...it looks like you guys had a great weekend! I missed seeing you and Steph in Dallas. Walt and I were able to spend Saturday night at your parent's house while Whit, Michelle, Steven, & Kim were still there. Hopefully we'll catch you next time. I know what you mean about loving your siblings. I don't know what I'd do without mine!
jen! i updated on my blog...take a look! im stressing this week!
I am so glad that you found me. Now if we could only see you it would be good :) Congrats on the new little baby.
Sounds like a very enjoyable trip. It is always so refreshing to see family when you live so far from them! I think in a sense you appreciate them more!
Post a Comment