Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Acts of Kindness

Today I got a phone call while running errands from the Young Women's president. She instructed me that I was to have the kids ready to leave the house tonight by 6:00. I was not to feed them dinner. I then was supposed to go in my room and get ready for a date with my husband. I could not come out of my room until 7:00, or until I was instructed to leave my room. Rob was to arrive home by 7:00.

I did exactly as I was told. The kids were ready and even bathed by 6. The Laurels showed up at our door and ushered our kids out the door and down the street to the YW president's (and very dear friend of ours) house. We are so blessed to live by her and her husband. I went in my room, tidied up a bit, then put my make-up on. Rob obediently came home when he was supposed to.

When we were released from our room, we opened the door to dim lights, candlelight, a beautifully set table, and classical music playing. Our hostesses greeted us and gave us very strict rules. We were NOT to talk about kids, church, money, the house, or work. We CAN hold hands. We had to talk about the following things: our favorite memory when we were dating, when we first realized we loved each other, what we love that our counterpart does for us, and what the perfect day would be together. THEN our hostesses left the house. We were ALONE . . . in our house . . . with each other. . . . YIKES! For 2 whole HOURS!






I have to say that so many feelings resurfaced by following the rules and talking over the things to which we were assigned. It was so romantic! We savoured it.


This is just one of so many simple acts of service that the people in our ward have done for us since Rob was called to be the Bishop. They have been so supportive and keen to recognize that we have a young family and there are many sacrifices we make so that Rob can serve in this calling. But they hardly seem like sacrifices to us, especially when the members of our ward bless our family like this. We have relied on the Lord during this time and He has been able to rely on the hands of ward members to provide our family with blessings we need. We feel so undeserving, yet are soooo grateful. The gospel of Jesus Christ is such a wonderful thing. We are learning to be Christlike by serving/teaching/loving others.


Thank you to our young women and their leaders! The kids are in bed, the dishes are done, the house is picked up . . . . so what am I doing sitting here and blogging? See ya . . . .


8 comments:

Sarah Lee said...

Awwwww! That is so sweet! What an amazing ward and friends. How thoughtful of them to do that for you and Rob. I'm sure it is much deserved and much needed. (Can I just forward this post to my young womens president :)

You two are such a beautiful couple. I'm glad that you were able to have such a fun night together. (really, no talking about kids, work, church, money, or houses?) I might have to try that. It sounds great!

hayleemj said...

That is soooo sweet! You have got such a great ward and such great friends... I would love to have something like that happen to us and I only have ONE kid that I want to get away from every once in a while! :)

Michelle said...

I know who did it, ha ha! That is the neatest, most loving idea--I'll hafta compliment her!
Ya'll totally deserve it! I'm really glad you got a special evening together.

Andrea said...

That is so wonderful... our turn next?

Tyler & Michelle said...

OMG! How sweet Jen! I am so glad you guys got to do that.

Diane said...

I have met Jen & Robs young womens president and she truly is an amazing person...what a neat thing for her to teach the youth.

I would really like to know how you answered the questions??? I know what you were like when you first called me and told me about Rob...I'm sure it was neat to rekindle that time in your life.

Hugs
Mom

Stephanie said...

Oh my! I got chills and tears reading about that! What a fun thing for you guys. Love the pictures too.

Kristen said...

Thanks for posting this...we came across it and are stealing the idea for our YW activity next month!
HH1 Ward Saratoga Springs UT